*****COVID-19 update: I am currently unable to meet face-to-face with patients, but I am offering online consultations for NEW patients. Existing patients will continue to receive all the help, support and encouragement that I am able to offer remotely e.g. advice, support and acupressure recommendations. This is always part of the “service” that I offer and what you can expect to receive if you are one of my patients.*********
“For me, there is no question that without Olivia’s careful, professional help, I wouldn’t be pregnant today.” (Sarah)
Welcome to the website of Olivia Shaw. I am an experienced acupuncturist and herbalist based in Surbiton, Surrey, specialising in fertility issues, women’s health and pregnancy. I am a member of the Association of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture UK and the Register of Chinese Herbal Medicine.
Chinese medicine is a sophisticated medical system which can be used to address a wide range of common health issues and during the course of my fifteen years in practice I have developed a special interest in:
- Using Chinese medicine to provide natural solutions for women’s health issues, such as polycystic ovaries syndrome (PCOS), endometriosis, painful periods, PMT/PMS and menopausal symptoms;
- Helping women and men improve their fertility naturally and effectively with a combination of acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine and dietary and lifestyle advice;
- Offering acupuncture support during IVF treatment; and
- Treating women during pregnancy, for nausea, aches and pains and sciatica, breech presentation and helping prepare for labour.
Approximately 80% of my patients are suffering from infertility or women’s health issues, while the remaining 20% seek help for a variety of conditions, such as oeteoarthritis, autoimmune diseases, headaches and migraines.
However, listing the conditions that I treat is a slightly misleading representation of the way that I work and how Chinese medicine works (although I appreciate it is helpful information for potential new patients visiting my website). When Chinese medicine is practised well there is no single treatment for all patients suffering from the same condition, rather the practitioner will formulate a diagnosis and treatment based on all that is apparent (and often less obvious) in the patient in front of them. In practice, this means that two women suffering from PCOS might receive quite different treatments.
I realise that you may be new to Chinese medicine so I have tried to make my website as informative as possible. I have also included a selection of patients’ stories, which I hope you will find interesting.